This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

1 John 4:10 NIV

Listen to Words from the Heart

Love

Canadian adults are as equally likely today to be in some form of union or partnership with another adult as they were a century ago. When Statistics Canada asked in 2021, 57% of Canadian adults stated that they were living with a spouse or partner compared with 58% when asked way back in 1921. Marriage remains the predominant type of union. In 2021, more than three-quarters (77%) of couples were married, with the remaining 23% living common law.

***

From the moment we are born, we are on the way to the grave. Even knowing this, we have babies anyway. Long before the creation of the world, God knew that sin would enter into the heart of the first human couple He would create and through them every human being born after, and everything else in His creation. He created the world anyway. God knew that for sin to be defeated, He would have to step into His creation as a baby named Jesus and sacrifice Himself on a brutal Roman cross. He created the world anyway. Why would He do this? For the same reason, couples have babies that will one day die – for love. The apostle John understood this and wrote in 1 John 4:10: “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” The Advent and Christmas season is all about love – God’s love for us. God’s love for us didn’t begin in Bethlehem – it was there before He even created us. But in a Bethlehem manger, God revealed the extent of His love. It is the heart of God and the heart of the season.

These have been words from the heart.
Bob Beasley