Words from the Heart for Tuesday July 18th, 2017

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,

Psalm 92:12-14 (NIV)

The Righteous Will Flourish

People can be made to feel that they no longer matter. They may start thinking they are useless. The Lord makes wonderful commitment to those who choose to seek His Presence. That will benefit us at any age. Share this promise with someone who you consider “older.” This truth will bless them.

Listen to Words from the Heart

Devotion

According to a 2014 CBC report on mental health in Canada, 77% of Canadians are described as having “flourishing” mental health. About 10% of Canadians aged 15 and older reported having at least one mental disorder that year, described as depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder or alcohol or drug dependence. Nearly 22 per cent of respondents were classified as having “moderate” mental health and 1.5 per cent were “languishing,” meaning they experience low positive emotions and function poorly. The percentage flourishing was higher than in other countries such as the U.S., the Netherlands, South Africa, France and Korea, which ranged from about 12 per cent to 69 per cent. In terms of mental illness, 72.5 per cent of Canadians were flourishing at the highest level of mental health, leaving 27.5 percent not at their optimum level.

***

Where I live you can always tell where there is a body of water – a river, or pond or canal. Even if you can’t see the water, you see the weeping willows, standing tall and green. If you see a flourishing weeping willow, you know there is water nearby. A common theme in the Bible is how the godly flourish when they put their roots deep in the Lord. The book of Psalms starts with this analogy – painting the picture of a tree planted along a stream, producing fruit throughout the year. It is a beautiful picture of the flourishing spiritual life that is ours when we put our roots of faith deep down in Christ. Psalm 1 isn’t the only Psalm that paints this picture. Psalm 92:12-14 expands on the thought: “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green.” In tropical climates, and particularly in arid regions, palm trees are a sign of life and hope. They stand tall and green in the midst of the brown desert. When we become followers of Jesus, spiritually we are like a palm tree – in the desert of sin we flourish, Christ’s life flowing through us and providing life and hope to those around us.

These have been words from the heart.
Bob Beasley