For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
1 Corinthians 1:17 NIV
While across Canada 60% of electricity is produced by hydro, there is one province where the percentage is much higher. 97% of Manitoba’s power is produced by water. According to Manitoba Hydro, the province is fitted with 16 hydroelectric generating stations, with its oldest built upon the Grand Rapids and the largest on the Nelson River. The other 3% is produced by wind. Newfoundland and Labrador isn’t far behind Manitoba – 96% of that province’s electricity is produced by harnessing the power of water.
Newer hotels have all sorts of power outlets. They are found not only on walls, but in the base of lamps, nightstands and even headboards. With all the devices we use these days – phones, tablets, laptops, ear buds, and so on, we need easy access to electricity to power up. Even the best batteries lose power with use and need to be charged often. Only the Creator has unlimited power, and His power is unleashed in our lives through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. So, what does Paul mean when he writes this in 1 Corinthians 1:17: “For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel – not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” Paul’s point here is a strong one – if a life could be transformed by eloquence and human wisdom, Jesus would not have needed to come and offer His life as a sacrifice. But we have nothing to offer – Jesus alone has the power to save and transform.
These have been words from the heart.